Main Forum

Legion Pod

2 replies
Votes:
+12
Hey has anyone heard of or know what Legion pod is ? I just saw an article about it and the article claims that it helps 4th gen fighters be on somewhat of the same plane if not a little higher than 5th gen fighters with stealth technology.

Legion pod can detect stealth aircraft on an IR spectrum and be used as a functional fire control device ??

From what I've seen and read I can't tell what this thing can do.
Posted Feb 9, 19 · OP
Votes:
+91
Admins
Never heard of it until now, but after looking it up on google it sounds like a beefed up IRST pod. Infrared search and track. All aircraft produce friction. Drag is a by product of lift. To fly is to produce waste heat, even if you are a 5th Gen aircraft. IRST has been around for a long time but is traditionally less reliable and less accurate than radar. It would make sense to invest in the technology to see if it can be developed to a point where it becomes more capable than radar at detecting and tracking stealthy aircraft. It’s also a passive sensor which means it has the benefit of being invisible to RWR systems.
Posted Feb 13, 19
Votes:
+12
Wow that's so crazy. Modern warfare is taking a huge huge turn. I wonder if they got the idea from another country. I know that other countries are using this, just don't know if it'll be as good as american version.
Posted Feb 13, 19 · OP
Top Posters
1068 Posts
948 Posts
557 Posts
522 Posts
449 Posts
NoticeNotices